Mac & Cheese with Peas & Bacon
- 3 C Whole Milk
- 3 T Butter
- 1 ea Small Yellow Onion, fine diced
- 2 T Salt
- 3 T Flour
- 2 ½ C Adams Reserve Cheddar, grated
- 1 # Pasta (Penne, Ziti, Macaroni, etc…)
- 3 T Salt
- 1 G Water
- ½ C Bread Crumbs
- In a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat sweat the onions in the butter with the salt until translucent. Add the flour and whisk until smooth. Slowly add the milk in about ½ cup additions, whisking smooth after each addition. Bring to a simmer and add 2 cups of the cheese and whisk smooth.
- While the sauce is working bring the water and the salt to a boil in a large pot, add the pasta and simmer until just barely done. Drain and add the cheese sauce to the pasta. Transfer to a buttered 9” x 13” casserole dish and sprinkle with the remaining ½ C cheese and bread crumbs. Bake at 400°F for 15 minutes or until golden brown on top. Serve hot.