Spinach & Cheddar Ravioli with Cacio e Pepe Sauce
Published on March 25, 2021 | In Italian | By Jennifer Speer |0 Comments
- Makes 12 large ravioli
- 24ea Dumpling or Wonton Wrappers, thawed
- 9oz Frozen Spinach, chopped and squeezed
- optional 16oz Fresh Spinach, steamed and chilled
- ½ + ¼ C Heavy Cream
- 2T Butter
- 1T Fresh Garlic, chopped
- 1 pinch Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 1/8 tsp Ground Fennel Seeds
- 1 pinch Crushed Red Pepper
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 ½ C Adams Reserve Cheddar, grated
- 1 ea Egg White
- 3 T Butter, soft
- ¼ tsp Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- ¼ C Parmesan Cheese, ground
- For the ravioli: In a sauté pan over medium high heat, sauté the garlic, peppers, fennel and salt in the 2T of butter for about a minute or until the garlic is tender. Add in the ½ cup of cream an let reduce by ½ until thick. Remove from the heat and let cool. Chop the grated cheddar, 2 T parmesan and the squeezed spinach together until about pea sized. Combine the spinach-cheese mixture, reduced cream mixture and the remaining ¼ cup of cream in a mixing bowl until well mixed. Whisk the egg white in a small bowl and set aside.
- Lay out the dumpling wrappers and brush off the excess flour/starch with a dry pastry brush. Working quickly so they don’t dry, distribute about 2 T of spinach filling into the center of twelve of the wrappers. Brush the other 12 wrappers with a thin layer of egg white and top the spinach filled wrappers with them. Using a rounded side of a ring cutter, swirl around the filling while gently pressing down to round the filling into the center and to seal the ravioli. At this point you can cover and refrigerate for a few hours or freeze them for up to a few weeks. Cook the ravioli in boiling salted water for about 4 minutes.
- For the sauce: While the ravioli are cooking, in a large sauté pan over high heat, fry the pepper in 2/3 of the butter. Strain the ravioli and transfer them to the pan. Add in a few tablespoons of pasta cooking water, the cheese and the remaining butter and gently toss the ravioli to coat. Serve immediately.
- Course : Entrees
- Recipe Type : Dinner, Pasta, Vegetarian/Vegetable
No comments yet.