Orzo “Risotto” with Grilled Summer Squash & Cheddar
Published on May 2, 2017 | By Adams Reserve |0 Comments
- Prep Time
- 1 C Orzo, uncooked
- 3 - 4 C Low Sodium Chicken Broth, hot
- ½ C White Wine
- ¼ C Shallots, sliced
- 2 t Fresh Garlic, chopped
- 2 T Butter
- 1 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 ea Zucchini or Summer Squash
- 1 C Adams Reserve Cheddar, grated
- 1½ t Kosher Salt
- ¼ t Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 3 T Fresh Basil, julienne
- Pre-Heat the grill to high. Slice the squash length wise and brush with the EVOO. Season with about half of the salt and all of the pepper. Grill the squash for about 3 minutes on each side or until browned and tender. Remove from the grill, let cool a bit and cut into bite size pieces and reserve. In a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat, sauté the remaining salt, shallots and garlic with the butter until tender. Add in the dry orzo and stir to coat. Continue to stir for about 1 minute, then add in the white wine. Stir briefly and add in about 1/3 of the hot broth.
- At this point, continue to frequently stir and add more broth as the orzo absorbs the liquid. Once all of the broth has been stirred in, about 15 minutes total, you want the orzo to be fully cooked and creamy looking. Adjust the doneness by adding more stock if necessary. Also, check the seasoning and adjust. Once the orzo is fully cooked and creamy, add in the reserved squash, the basil and the cheddar. Serve immediately.
- Servings : 4 to 6
- Course : Side Dishes
- Recipe Type : Casserole, Grilling, Pasta, Picnics, Vegetarian/Vegetable
No comments yet.