Cheddar and Chive Baby Mac & Cheese Bites
- Prep Time
- 1 ½ C Whole Milk
- 1 ½ C Butter
- ½ ea Small Yellow Onion, finely diced
- 1 t Salt
- 3 T Flour
- 1 ¾ C Adams Reserve Cheddar, Grated
- ¼ C Fresh Chopped Chives
- ½ lb Baby Penne or Macaroni Pasta
- 1 ½ T Salt
- ½ g Water
- Pulse all the ingredients in a food processor about 7 or 8 times. You still want it to be chunky.
- For the Beans:
- 2 ea Black Beans, 15oz Cans, drained
- 1 ea Green Chilies, small can
- ¼ C Vegetable Oil
- ½ ea Yellow Onion, small, diced
- ½ T Ground Cumin
- ½ T Kosher Salt
- Best Served: Warm
- Ensure a smooth consistency to the milk and flour base by stirring equal amounts of flour into butter before mixing in milk. Be sure to whisk constantly during each step and use milk directly from the refrigerator.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, sauté the onions in the butter with the salt until translucent. Add flour and whisk until smooth. Slowly add the milk in ½ cup parts, whisking smooth after each addition. Bring to a simmer, add cheese and chives and whisk until smooth and velvety.
- While the sauce is working, bring the water and salt to a boil in a large pot. Add the pasta and simmer until al dente. Drain, return to the pot and add the cheese sauce to the pasta. Transfer to non-stick mini muffin tins sprayed with cooking spray and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours. Bake at 550°F for about 7-10 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Let sit in muffin tins for about 10 minutes to encourage settling then remove and serve warm.
- This big dish made small is an ultra fun cocktail dish that guests love. Garnish with fresh parsley, bacon crumbles, sliced avocado, breadcrumbs or anything else that compliments these divine concoctions.
- Pairing Tip: A floral, aromatic wine such as Riesling pairs nicely with the creamy and slightly nutty flavor of sharp cheddar.