Cheddar, Pimento Cheese and Homemade Potato Chips
- Prep Time
- Cheddar Pimento Cheese
- ¼ C Onions, minced
- 1 t Fresh garlic, minced
- ¼ t Dried Cayenne Pepper
- 1 T Vegetable Oil
- 2 C Adams Reserve Cheddar, grated
- 1 C Cream Cheese, softened
- ½ C Diced Pimentos, drained
- ½ C Mayonnaise
- Homemade Potato Chips
- 2 ea Large Russet Potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1-2 C Peanut or Canola Oil for frying
- 1-2 t Salt
- ½ t Freshly Ground Pepper
- Best Served: Cheese cold, chips room temperature
- Using a mandoline keeps potato slices consistent and avoids under cooking or overcooking. A setting of 1/16th-1/8th generally produces a size similar to a bagged chip.
- Use a gentle hand when turning potato chips to coat with oil. This generates less breakage and encourages the hot oil to drench the potato, creating a perfectly crisp chip.
- For the pimento cheese: In a small pan over medium heat, sauté the onion, garlic, dried cayenne, black pepper and salt until onions are translucent. When cool, combine the sautéed mixture and all the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl and blend thoroughly. Cover and chill.
- For the chips: Soak the thinly sliced potatoes in water for about an hour to extract some of the starch, then drain. While the potatoes are draining, heat oil to 350°F. Add the sliced potatoes in small batches and fry until golden brown, carefully stirring occasionally. Drain on paper towels and immediately season with salt and pepper.
- Healthy Tip: Peanut oil is naturally trans-fat and cholesterol free!