American Style Onion Soup
Published on May 17, 2017 | By Adams Reserve |0 Comments
- 1 Qt
- 6 C Sweet Onion, sliced thin
- 6 T Butter
- ¼ t Baking Soda (optional, helps caramelize the onions faster)
- 2 t Kosher Salt
- ¼ t Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- ½ t Dried Thyme
- 1 qt Beef Broth, homemade or low sodium
- 8 ea Thick Slices of Bread, cut to fit your crocks, toasted crisp
- 8 ea Adams Reserve Cheddar Slices
- In a medium sauce pan, combine the onions, butter, baking soda and salt over medium-high heat. Cook for about 15 minutes, stirring very often to prevent scorching the bottom of the pan. Cook the onions until they are a dark mahogany color. Add in the pepper, thyme and broth and bring to a simmer. Add the vinegar and lower the heat and let simmer for about 20 minutes. Skim off any fat that rises to the surface and discard. Once the onions are tender, taste and adjust the seasoning with a little more salt if needed.
- Ladle the soup into crocks. Top with the toasted bread and then the cheese. Place on the top rack of the oven under a very hot broiler. Watch carefully and broil until the cheese is melted and beginning to brown. Serve immediately.
- Ready in : 60 Minutes
- Course : Soups
- Recipe Type : Comfort Food, Football, Vegetarian/Vegetable
No comments yet.