Marinated Kale, Pomegranate and Cheddar Salad
- Prep Time
- 4 C Kale Leaves, no stems
- ½ C Red Onion, julienned
- 1 ea Seeds from Pomegranate
- ½ C Adams Reserve Cheddar, crumbled
- ¼ C Fresh Lemon Juice
- ¼ C Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 T Honey
- 1 T Fresh Thyme, leaves only
- ½ t Kosher Salt
- ¼ t Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 1 C Fresh French Bread Croutons
- Pomegranate seeds make a sparkly holiday addition to any meal, but can be intimidating to work with. Over a bowl, halve the pomegranate, separate, push out the center and use a heavy wooden spoon to whack the back. The seeds will fall out. Voila!
- When choosing kale, look for dark green, slightly springy and voluminous leaves. Avoid kale that has a yellow tinge or looks dry, as this is a sign of age. Use within three days of purchase for tastiest results.
- Place the kale leaves in a thick plastic bag. Set the bag of kale over a folded towel and use a rolling pin to gently bruise the kale. The leaves will turn a darker shade of green. Transfer kale to a mixing bowl and toss with remaining ingredients. Marinate for 15 minutes and serve at room temperature.
- Healthy Tip: One cup of chopped kale is only 33 calories and is an excellent source of vitamins A, C and K, copper, potassium, iron and more!